With the historical low temperatures forecasted in our region over the next couple of days, Berea Municipal Utilities would like to communicate a few tips to our customers regarding water and electric service.
In order to minimize risks of freezing water lines customers should:
- Make sure water lines serving unoccupied buildings are completely shut off.
- Seal off any outside air leaks entering into areas with exposed plumbing. This includes crawl spaces, foundations, and vents.
- Insulate water lines installed near exterior walls and/or water lines exposed to harsh temperatures.
- Open cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around plumbing pipes.
- Allow a trickle of hot and cold water to run overnight. This will allow water to continue flowing through your plumbing during times of low usage.
- Customers need to be aware of the location of their shutoff valve. This is typically near the location the service line enters the home. This will allow the water to be shut off quickly in the event of a water leak on the customer side of the meter.
During the next couple of days Berea Municipal Utilities expects to set all-time highs for system wide energy usage. In order to minimize stress to our electric system, customers are encouraged to follow these suggestions and tips:
- BMU experiences peak demands during the hours of 6:00am-8:00am and again during the hours of 6:00pm-8:00pm. During these times please be conscious of your energy usage. Only use lights, electronics and appliances which are essential during these times.
- Leave the thermostat set at a temperature which is “comfortable.” 65ºF should be sufficient in a well-insulated home.
- Unplug any unnecessary electronic equipment and chargers.
- During daylight hours, open all window coverings in order to allow sunlight to provide a natural heating source. This will also allow any unnecessary lights to be turned off.
- During nighttime hours, consider using fewer lights during extreme cold temperatures.
- If possible use alternative, non-electrical heat sources. Be sure to follow manufacturer safety and ventilation guidelines.
* In the event of a power outage, please turn off ALL electrical items. This will aid BMU personnel in restoring power in a timely manner. During abnormally cold weather, when service is restored, the extreme demand of the initial surge/peak is very harsh on our system components. Once power is restored only turn on essential electric appliances and equipment.